Thursday, October 7, 2010

Digitalchemy, now with 50% more pop

This little gem popped up on The Oatmeal recently. It's called, "How a Web Design Goes Straight to Hell" but in this case, "web design" could easily be substituted for graphic design or writing.

There's a line in there about a client asking for a web design to "pop" and be "edgier." Story of my life. I don't do design work professionally, but I do tons of writing and I collaborate with designers often. We get buzz words like this in creative briefs all the time. I was once asked to write a 10-page portfolio that was "YouTubian." Three drafts later I discovered that the client actually wanted the language to be youthful, snappy, humorous, and a bit tongue-in-cheek. That, I can do. "YouTubian" left me guessing.

But I don't really blame the client. As creatives we sometimes forget that we use a slightly different vocabulary than our clients. It's up to us to translate and decode. Sure, we shouldn't HAVE to, and in a perfect world we wouldn't. But without clients (or some client-like entity that cuts our paychecks), we'd be on the street. That'll never change. They'll never change. So it's up to us to bridge the gap.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhahaha this is great. We are currently in the "home run stretch" with our website redesign at work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of clients, you should check out this website for a good laugh: http://clientsfromhell.net/ .

    Client: “This looks good. I’d like for you to get together with the project manager (male) and the marketing director (female) for a little ménage à trois before the next phase of the project starts.”

    Me (who was only half-listening to this point): “Excuse me?”

    Client: “Hmm? oh, ménage à trois? That’s a French phrase. It means collaboration.”

    ReplyDelete