Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Comic Bans

For anyone using Safari 5, there's a new third-party extension that will automatically change Comic Sans to Helvetica on any website you visit. And if that doesn't go far enough, it'll also wipe out Arial for you.

One caveat: The presence of Comic Sans usually signals content not worth reading in the first place. Kind of like how bright colors signal danger in nature. Comic Sans is nature's way of telling us to stay away. Eliminate Comic Sans, and you've eliminated a crucial warning sign of crappy content. So, proceed with caution.

2 comments:

  1. This is so funny. First, "bright colors signal danger in nature"? Hahaha. Anyway -- I am totally ignorant when it comes to fonts (I still use Arial, what?) But I DO know better than to use comic sans and I totally get the warning here. I found a political candidate recently whose entire site was in comic sans-like font. (I can't promise it was exactly that because I'm new to fonts, but I'm pretty sure.) Anyway, I immediately backtracked. I also know not to take medical advice from comic-sans site. (Who hasn't googled their own symptoms? Let's get serious.) That's probably my main concern here now. How will I weed through my own self diagnoses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's absolutely hilarious how many people are so against using Comic Sans. I'm right on board with everyone else, but I bet the whoever created the font had no idea that there would be such an anti-Comic Sans fan base. I've always wanted to create a font, so I hope people don't hate it as much as Comic Sans!

    ReplyDelete