Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Brand new

I think Pepsi must have an entire division assigned to re-branding fails. We can't forget the Tropicana disaster from last year (although, to be fair, the first time I saw that carton on the shelf, I rather liked it.) but more recently, Pepsi rebranded another of its flagship products: Gatorade.

Once upon a time, there was Gatorade. Just Gatorade. Then, came the low-calorie variants, which were branded G2. So we had Gatorade and G2. OK, nothing too confusing there. But oh wait, here come three more products: Gatorade Rain, Gatorade Fierce, and Gatorade X-Factor. Uh-oh.

And here begins Pepsi's two-year spiral into marketing madness. Determining (rightfully so) that their product line was a little convoluted, the good people at Pepsi decided it was re-brand time. So, Gatorade Rain became Gatorade No Excuses. Gatorade X-Factor became Gatorade Be Tough. Gatorade Fierce Became Gatorade Bring It.  Simple and logica -- wait, what?

Hmm... still confusing. So in 2010, ANOTHER rebrand. The answer to this mess? The G Series. Now, every kind of Gatorade has a number, which indicates the drink's level of performance. So we've got a G Series 01, G Series 02, and G Series 03. We've also got G Pro 01, G Pro 02, and G Pro 03.  And for the calorie conscious, there's a G2-branded low calorie option, within the 02 level of the G series.  So... I guess that makes it G Series 02 G2?

The whole mess is summed up quite nicely in this article at Daily Finance: Gatorade's Rebranding: So Confusing It Requires an Ad to Explain It. Stay tuned here, because one day this week I intend to create a handy little graphic to help simplify this mess. Just as soon as I figure it out myself.






1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of insanity. I for one have never liked Gatorade and now I'm wondering if it's because of their design that I'm so turned off of it. I love Vitamin Water and it's really not *that* much different except for a cleaner look (Gatorade's always has that ugly bottle and the lightning bolt-ugh, it just looks cheap and unappetizing). And there's too much variety! Which one do you pick? Vitamin Water just has a few flavors although now that they've expanded to diet drinks, I'm a little overwhelmed and have been drinking it less! Keep it simple, electrolyte drink companies!

    ReplyDelete